Welcome to the Phil Richards Performance Blog. Here you will find articles, videos and information on courses and products.

New fitness regime can be a winner - Sammy

Published 10th August 2007 – The Bolton News


SAMMY Lee makes no apologies for wanting Bolton Wanderers to be the fittest team in the Barclays Premier League.
A wind of change has blown through the Reebok since the new Whites boss took up the management reins 102 days ago, and one of the moves that has had the biggest impact has been the introduction of a new fitness regime.
And while the overwhelming majority of players have taken the change in their stride, there have been rumours that one or two have not taken kindly to the new manager's methods.
But today, in a revealing interview with The Bolton News, Lee, pictured, explained why, in his view, a shake-up was necessary.
He claimed life at the Reebok had become too comfortable for some and highlighted statistics from last season to support his case that tough decisions had to be taken.
"A lot of people recognised that there were changes that had to be made," he said.
"This is a fantastic football club and it had become a very comfortable football club for people to be at.
"But 17 points gained from New Year's Day, 69 per cent of our total points gained by the end of December, tells you something was not right and needed to be addressed, whether it was attitude or fitness, and the first thing that we've looked at is fitness."
Combined with the switch to a flexible 4-4-2 formation, the new fitness regime has given the squad of players Lee inherited from Sam Allardyce plenty to get to grips with since they returned from their summer holidays. A succession of backroom resignations suggests that the new manager has knocked a few noses out of joint, but Lee is unrepentant and vehemently refutes claims in one newpaper that his management style has been questioned by senior players.
"I won't apologise for introducing a fitness regime that is second to none and to that end, Damien Rhoden, our fitness coach, and Phil Richards, our strength and conditioning coach, are now vital cogs in the machine," he said.
"Apart from anything else, one thing I would like is for Bolton Wanderers to be fit and, no disrespect to what has happened before, I think those statistics speak for themselves.
"I accept that change can often be difficult for some people to adapt to, but the players have taken to it fantastically well.
"It's not been easy for them because, while there have been many changes on the field there have been an awful lot of changes off the field.
"I've had to set up a new medical team headed up by Richard Freeman (formerly club doctor and now head of sports science and medicine) and with Dave Galley, who has vast experience of working with England U21s and Liverpool, as our new physio.
"I believe I have recruited for the better - and I don't wish that to be a criticism of the previous regime."
Despite adding 11 players to the squad that - Tal Ben Haim apart - took Wanderers to their fourth successive top-eight finish and qualified for the UEFA Cup, Lee admits there are still areas that need strengthening and, although nothing has come of speculation that key players Jussi Jaaskelainen, Kevin Nolan, El-Hadji Diouf and Nicolas Anelka could be on their way, he knows that situation could change before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.
There is still a distinct possibility that Abdoulaye Faye could join Sam Allardyce at Newcastle, if the Magpies match Wanderers' valuation; Stelios, although currently injured, is rumoured to be a target for Sheffield United, and there has been talk that Ivan Campo is one player told he is no longer regarded as a first team regular.
Lee is determined to cover all eventualities.
"People might think I've signed a lot of players but I have to make sure we have competition for places and enough players to be able to adapt to whatever system I play," he said.
"I wanted to adopt a 4-4-2 system because I thought the previous system had become too easy for the opposition to combat. I've brought in players I feel are capable of adapting to a number of systems but I know that some players were comfortable with the previous style and will find it difficult to adapt.
"So it might be that players who can't adapt will go, nothing should surprise you in football."
Although refusing to identify the players concerned, Lee confirmed: "I have had discussions with certain senior members of the squad regarding where they fit into my plans and, because I've got so much respect for them, I don't want them to be just sitting around the subs' bench.
"I won't name names but that might become clear from my team selections. People will be disaffected because they are not in the team, but that's always the case, you can only pick 11. But the discussions must be kept in-house.
"I won't deviate from that because I believe that is the right way. I'm honest with people and all I ask if that people are honest with me.
"There are going to be problems along the way, but every football club encounters problems."